The FDA maintains a database of adverse events related to specific medications and pharmaceutical products. Of the more than 1,800 adverse events reported that have been linked to Xarelto, the most common events were:
- Pulmonary embolism (386 reports)
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) (279 reports)
- Uncontrolled bleeding, including:
- Gastrointestinal hemorrhage (107 reports)
- Hemorrhage (107 reports)
Other adverse events reported included:
- Hemoglobin decrease
- Cerebrovascular accidents
- Edema peripheral
Hospitalization was reported in 891 of these events; 183 deaths have been associated with Xarelto.
Other side effects have been reported, including:
- Blood and lymphatic system disorders: agranulocytosis
- Gastrointestinal disorders: retroperitoneal hemorrhage
- Hepatobiliary disorders: jaundice, cholestasis, cytolytic hepatitis
- Immune system disorders: hypersensitivity, anaphylactic reaction, anaphylactic shock, angioedema
- Nervous system disorders: cerebral hemorrhage, subdural hematoma, epidural hematoma, hemiparesis
- Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders: Stevens-Johnson syndrome
Have You Experienced These or Other Xarelto Side Effects?
Patients who have experienced uncontrolled bleeding or other similar side effects from using Xarelto may wish to speak to a lawyer to find out if they are eligible to file a lawsuit. For more information about whether you may have a case, contact the attorneys at Hissey Kientz, LLP by calling toll-free at 1-866-275-4454 or by filling out the contact form on this page.